Engine Jacobs R Hp

COL F rank Gregory with chief engineer Dick Prewitt at the Kellett Factory, 1942, (Kellett Photo)

The new style clutch had discs and used a planetary reduction gear system at the engine with a larger drive shaft running directly from the power takeoff on the engine to the rotor head.

One of the major changes put the pilot in the front seat and added a transparent plastic cover over both cockpits and a large transparent plastic panel in the belly beneath the pilot's feet. The observer's seat could swivel so he could ride backwards and work at a small table behind the rear seat. When the observer was not in place, balast had to be carried in the rear cockpit.

The long-travel Bendix shock struts were mounted nearly-vertical. The entire landing gear could be removed including the outrigger struts thus reducing the width of the fuselage for shipping from more than 8 feet to the width of the fuselage.

The engine mount, too, was removable at the firewall. In this way a quick change powerplant package could be stocked.

The fuselage structure was similar to the earlier KD-l/YG-1. The fairing was different

COL F rank Gregory with chief engineer Dick Prewitt at the Kellett Factory, 1942, (Kellett Photo)

Rotorhead Autogiro

COL Frank Gregory, Dave Driscoll (Kellett test pilot) and Wallace Kellett it11942 with a Kellett YO-60 autogiro at Philadelphia International Airport near Kelle It's plant. (Kellett Photo)

1942 /I RMY NEWCOMER—This was the first photograph to be released of the U.S. Army Air Force new YO-bO autogiro, produced Kellett Aircraft Corporation, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, builders of earlier giro h/pes for the army. Kelietf has completed delivery of as vice test lot of these aircraft, which are being operated for tactical studies and instructional work. Note the huge bubble-type canopy wh\ provides excellent vision for thecretoof the ship. Powered by a Jacobs 300 horsepower engine, ihi$ member of the 15-year-old line ofXelt rotary-wing craft possessed maneuverability characteristics which were improved by design innovations and increased power,

(Kellett Aircraft Pho

Kellett Y0-60 autogiro landing at DuPont Field Wilmington, Delaware. On the ground rs the XR-3 modified from a Kellett YG-1B research work. (Kellett Pho

The last KeUett Autogiro YO-60 with the KD-1 prototype.

(Ketiett Photo)

with flatter sides giving the observer better downward vision out the side windows. The enclosure over the two cockpits hinged open and slid to the right to permit entrance and exit from the cockpits on the left.

The powerplant was a Jacobs R-915-3, seven cylinder, aircooled, radial engine providing 330 hp through a Hamilton-Standard constant speed propeller.

The model was soon changed from X0-60 to Y0-60 and seven were built. Only six were delivered, one was damaged in a runup accident and was not repaired. The National Air Museum in Washington has restored this autogiro for exhibit and it can be seen there along with the helicopters.

Specifications

Gross weight 2640 lbs.

Empty weight Useful Load

Top speed 122mph

Cruise speed Landing speed

0 0

Post a comment