Info

110 mph 15 mph 0 mph

(Warren Ship Photo)

(Warren Ship Photo)

PA-39 Front Section.

Alfaro

The Alfaro A ulogiw bit ill under contract between Pitcairn and Heraclio Alfaro who had designed it. Alfaro had an impressive record as an engineer and designed a radial engine with opposed cylinders turningĀ» "wobble'' plate which turned the propeller shaft. It can be seen in the Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Heractio had given Harold Pitcaim a letter of introduction to Cterva. (Pitcairn PhotoI

The Alfaro A ulogiw bit ill under contract between Pitcairn and Heraclio Alfaro who had designed it. Alfaro had an impressive record as an engineer and designed a radial engine with opposed cylinders turningĀ» "wobble'' plate which turned the propeller shaft. It can be seen in the Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Heractio had given Harold Pitcaim a letter of introduction to Cterva. (Pitcairn PhotoI

On January 12, 1929, Harold Pitcairn entered into a contract with Heraclio Alfaro, the man who had given him a letter of introduction to Cierva. Alfaro had proposed a light, three-place open cockpit autogiro. He had previously done some notable work with fixed-wing aircraft and had assisted in the design of the Pescara Helicopter.

Pitcairn originally designated the Alfaro machine PCA-2-30, Later it was designated the PA-11.

One novel feature was a Formica covered rotor blade. Formica was the '30s version of plastic. The blades were designed and built bv the Formica Company.

The fuselage was a conventional welded steel tube structure with fabric covering.

The landing gear had a wide tread but was simpler than Pitcairn's designs. A vertical cabane structure was wire-braced to the lower longerons. A welded "vee" assembly went from this cabane to the lower end of the shock struts.

The wings and ailerons were Formica covered and were wire-braced to the fuselage. The wire bracing actually completed the landing gear structure. The wing tips were turned up as in Pitcairn's early models. The horizontal stabil izer was wood with Micarta cover as was the rudder. The vertical fin was steel welded tubing covered with fabric.

Design was begun July 17, 1929, construction work began in November 1929 and was completed July 18, 1930. just a year from the signing of the contract the firsl flight was August 18, 1930.

The autogiro was on its way from Willow Grove to the National Air Races in Cleveland, Ohio in August of 1930. For some unknown reason its pilot, J. Paul (Skip) Lukens landed in a farmer's field in Butler, Pennsylvania to Stay over night. On takeoff on August 21, 1930 it struck a stone wall and was destroyed. Lukens was not injured.

The reported cause of the accident was the weight of condensed moisture inside the Micarta covered rotor blades causing them not to attain the proper rpm for takeoff.

Although Alfaro proposed rebuilding the crafl, Pitcairn declined.

Specifications Gross weight 1813 lbs.

Empty weight 1283 lbs.

The powerplant was a Warner Scarab, seven cylinder radial engine giving 110 hp.

Performance data is not available.

0 0

Post a comment