Pitcairn Pcaa Engine Wright Hp

Additional streamlined tie rods were attached to the fuselage with their outer ends to the front and rear wing spars to act as landing wires. An equal number were attached from the landing gear "N" struts to the lower side of the wing for flying wires.

The ailerons ran the full length of the wing panel except for approximately one foot at the inboard end used for a footwalk.

The paint scheme was yellow wings and horizontal tail. (The boxkite tail was all yellow when installed) with black fuselage and landing gear. The finish was Pitcairn's usual hand-rubbed finish. The rotor blades, as mentioned, were varnished natural mahogany. Missing was Pitcairn's logo; the arrow, in yellow (or gold) with the cabin-like device hung below it.

Three PCA-ls were built, but one was destroyed in a fire at the Bryn Athyn factory. Department of Commerce approval was not applied for.

Principal dimensions: rotor diameter, 43 feel; disc area, 1462 sq. ft.; wingspan, 32 ft. 6 in.; wing chord (average), 46 in.; height, 14 ft. 2 in.

The PCA-1 was redesigned into the PCA-2 with some minor changes. The appearance was generally the same. The main differences were

Various autogiros. left lo right Ciena C19-IH, PCA-l, PCA2(#1), Alfara andCierva C-8. (PUcairn Photo)

Pitcaim PCA-l B-originallyaPClAtvithabox-like tail. The horizontal surfaces were bi-plane type and when the stick was full back the propeller stream was directed up through the rotor for an aerodynamic starL Note many flying and landing wires on wings.

(Pitcairn Photo)

Pitcaim PCA-l B-originallyaPClAtvithabox-like tail. The horizontal surfaces were bi-plane type and when the stick was full back the propeller stream was directed up through the rotor for an aerodynamic starL Note many flying and landing wires on wings.

(Pitcairn Photo)

0 0

Post a comment